Sunday 15 January 2012

10 things that worry me about the marathon

Quick training update- stuck to the plan and have survived.... just. Didn't manage to fit in a run today but as I'm on nights I'll let that go. Threshold runs on Friday with the lovely (and irritatingly much fitter) Matt Elsey were fairly hideous but apparently it's good for me so I just have to stick at it. Here's proof of just how red my face gets and this was taken after a 10minute warm up jog. Imagine how much worse it is after 40+ minutes!

Check out my BHF running vest!


Plan for this week:
Monday: (finish night shifts at 09:30 ish), go for a post nights swim
Tuesday: Run 6 miles
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: Shorter run ?3-4 miles
Friday: Go to centre parcs!
Saturday: Run- probably attempt threshold again
Sunday: to be confirmed- I suspect a rest day spent happily at centre parcs.

There are lots of things that worry me about the marathon and I thought I'd share them with you. Not that I'm expecting any sympathy- more that you'll all settle down on your comfy settees, with your nice, relaxed, not at all aching legs and laugh at my self induced misfortune.

1. I might die.
Seriously! 8 people have died trying to run the London Marathon- all from previously undiagnosed heart disease (another reason to run for BHF....). Just in case, this is being read at my untimely funeral I'd like to pass on a message..... I told you so and all you lot did was laugh. humph.

2. My toenails will probably fall off.
My friend Jenny has told me that she always loses toenails after running the marathon. Sounds a bit careless and not good for all those London street cleaners. There's about 37,000 people that run the marathon each year. That's 74,000 feet. If each foot loses one toenail each that's a whopping 148,000 toenails that will be scattered along the finish and surrounding streets. Ewwww.

3. What if I don't lose any weight or look any better for it?!
There have got to be some benefits to running all this way and as far I'm concerned a big benefit is fitting into some of those elusive size 10's that haven't fitted since I had my daughter. Or for quite a long while before that if I'm honest. All this running should surely burn loads of calories and mean that I will resemble some kind of svelte athlete soon. Or maybe I should stop compensating for my running with cake? I will be so cross if I don't lose weight!

4. What if I get lost on the day?
I am rubbish at finding my way and have literally no sense of direction. I get lost trying to drive out of Tesco's carpark (this is actually true) and frequently get lost in hospital. I once spent 40minutes wandering around the QMC trying to get out and landed myself in some kind of locked area near the mortuary at night. Not my finest hour. Now I know there'll be lots of people around but what if I get lost?!

5. I won't be able to walk the next day.
This is more fact than a concern. If you have a spare motorbility chair, I'd like it for Monday 23rd April please. And possibly the two weeks following.

6. What if break a leg or something disastrous the week before the marathon?
This would be awful. All that training and no getting to actually experience the day with all the crowds cheering me on. Genuinely concerned this might happen.

7.  How do I drink and eat whilst running without spluttering and choking?
Stand clear crowds near the water/lucozade stations.

8. What if I give myself hyponatraemia?
Hyponatraemia is a real problem for marathon runners. Especially idiot, have-a-go amateurs like myself who drink too much water and drive their salt levels too low. It can lead to selling of the brain, fits and ultimately death. Eeek.

9. What if I don't enjoy it on the day?
I'm assured by people that have run the marathon that the day itself is incredible and the crowds really carry you along. This would be amazing if it's true. However, when I cheered Matt on a couple of years ago, there were marathon runners crying at mile 20, limping along with blood running down their tops from where their nipples used to be before they were rubbed off by their tops. Again, this isn't an exaggeration! Someone was stretchered past me and it was awful. I cheered one random stranger along with an encouraging "Well done, keep going" and he flicked me the V's!!! I think he was in quite a dark place at the time and certainly wasn't enjoying the experience.

10. What if I don't raise enough money?
I have pledged to raise over £2000 for British Heart Foundation and that is a LOT of money. Times are hard and purses are empty. But I know a lot of people and they all know lots of people. If everyone gave up their Starbucks/ Costa treat for a week or didn't buy their newspapers for a week or decided to go without something little and gave £5 then I'm sure it's manageable. Please help! It really is a good cause.
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/longrunlizzy



Next time: A little boy called Charlie who needs BHF

1 comment:

  1. 10 things most marathoners worry about although my no 1 was needing to do a poo during the race. Runners trots is the worst and during training I actually had designated petrol stations and cafes where I knew I could stop for such an emergency!
    All the above will be fine and the experience is well worth it....oh and don't forget the chaffing. That was my no 2 worry! Both were fine on the day!
    Love you SJ

    ReplyDelete