Sunday 30 October 2011

Pensioners beware!

Hello to you all!

So here's a question for you.... how are your shins tonight? 'Cos mine hurt! I'm back into training, not that you'd think what I've achieved is very much but I've been for three runs this week (including last Sunday- I've decided that counts within the last week!). So Lizzy's diary of torture reads:

Sunday: 6K (3.7 miles)

Monday: 13 hour shift at work

Tuesday: 13 hour shift at work (including a very interesting story regarding an inappopriate use of batteries. Not pleasant.)

Wednesday: Travelled down to Felixstowe and had a date night with the boy. No running involved in a date night, just pizza and maltesers.

Thursday: 4K (2.5 miles) "Blowing a hooley" is the Suffolk expression for the weather conditions. i.e. practically gale force winds.

Friday: Trip to the Zoo! Thought about setting off around the lion enclosure with a string of sausages tied to me but decided Mr Lion looked quite chilled out and probably wasn't up for a jog.

Saturday: 4K (2.5 miles)

Now Saturday was an interesting run. It was my first run with a running buddy. The running buddy in question was none other than the subject of the date night: Mr Matthew Elsey. If you're not aware, Matt ran the marathon in 2010 in a reasonably respectable time of 4:45. Matt also did virtually no training as he's one of those irritatingly fit people that actually enjoys trotting around. He's also running the marathon next year when I do. He's sworn that he'll run it with me for moral support. I think we may come near to a divorce after 26.2miles of shared torture with him being all sprightly and jolly and me cursing and tripping me way round the sights of London. Anyway, so off we set on a little jog. Mum waved us off with a helpful "you look lovely, dear" (clearly the new running clothes haven't been worn enough and still look shiny and fresh).
Here's where our problems started. Matt made a joke, I tried to whack him, he dodged, I tried a crafty little kick and nearly twisted an ankle. Who says violence is bad?! Matt had agreed to run at my pace (I say run, he could have walked and overtaken me) so he obediently jogs along beside me, chatting away whilst I'm becoming more and more luminously purple and can barely utter two words together in reply. We ran along Felixstowe prom. Now for those that have never visited Felixstowe, it is a lovely little town but it has a disproportionate number of pensioners resident there. That translates to a fleet of old biddies in motorised scooter thingys. So I'm stumbling along, beetroot in the face, gasping for breath in the wind from the North Sea and there's all these smug grannies and grandpas zooming along in their battery-powered scooters. The thought going through my mind? I'M GOING TO MUG A PENSIONER FOR THEIR SPEED MACHINE!!!

I didn't. But I might next time.

Then my running "buddy" made me run even faster after promising I could walk up the really steep hill. Oh. My. Word. We ran at about 8 min/mile pace. Never, ever again.

Things I have learnt this week:
- Matt is not a good running buddy
- I can't run fast, only about as slowly as a speed walk.
- All motorbility scooters should keep away when I'm training for their own safety.

That's all for now. See you next week (provided I'm not in custody for mugging a wheelchair user).

Lizzy x

PS. I've now set up a money raising, cash donating, give BHF your pennies (but preferably pounds) site. It's http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/longrunlizzy . Feel free to start donating in advance. Little and often is a great philosophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment