Sunday 4 September 2011

The training schedule

So I always said that when September hit I'd start to train properly for the marathon.

Well it's September. Oh good. Can't tell you how much I hate running! Probably about as much as Paula Radcliffe hates it when people ask her if she actually pees herself when running competitively to save time. For the record, I'll stop to pee if I need to. No worries there.

Anyway, I emailed the lovely running support team at the British Heart Foundation and said that I was wondering if the personal trainer that supports their runners would put me a plan together to help me train. There were a few questions on a form to fill in.
I, of course, lied.
According to the form, I'm of above average fitness, weigh half a stone less than I actually do and exercise twice a week on average. Excellent start.
Then a happy email from the mis-led trainer pops into my inbox. Several attachments included. One about stretching (haven't read that one yet- wish I had, will explain in a bit). One about general advice. And one with what doesn't appear to be a training plan but rather a schedule of torture.
Seriously, it's ridiculous. This week I am meant to be doing the following:

Monday: 30mins cross-training
Tuesday: 45 mins steady run (whatever "steady" is)
Wednesday: 40 mins body conditioning or pilates
Thursday: 45 mins steady undulating run (undulating? as in hills? I don't think so Pal)
Friday: Rest (thank goodness!)
Saturday: 45 mins recovery run and stretch session (how is a run "recovery"?)
Sunday: 75 mins long run, easy conversational pace (surely that's walking then?)

And that's week one!

Now I know that I've got a church meeting Monday night and choir to lead on Wednesday night so I thought I'd better get going this weekend.

Yesterday, I went for a swim. 40 lengths of 25m pool in sub 30 minutes. Great. Easy peasy. No running involved.

Tonight, I've been for a 6km run. It took me 43 minutes. I was determined to at least jog all the way rather than my usual stop-start technique of run a bit and walk a bit.  I achieved that! No walking for me. Nope. None at all. Some fairly slow jogging in there, especially up Aspley Lane which seems a lot steeper incline when attempting to run rather than when I drive it. But some quite quick running (down-hill of course) and no walking at all. Did I already mention that? No walking!

All good. However, the no walking rule appears to have taken over now I've stopped running. The laptop needed the power cable as battery getting low. I got up to walk to the other side of the lounge.
Ouch. Ow. Oooch. Eeek. OUCH.
Why have my calfs (or calves- never sure which is plural cow and which is plural lower legs. Bad considering I'm a doc) seized up already?! They really hurt. And I've got an all day theatre list tomorrow so that'll be a right laugh.

So today's lesson for a non-runner running a marathon is stretch. I'll be reading that stretch sheet then Thanks BHF!

Next time......more about BHF.

1 comment: