Sunday 11 September 2011

Mending a broken heart with a .....Zebrafish?!

Hello!
So, it's one week into my "official" (very much in inverted commas- but I am trying hard!) training. Week One has involved the following:

Saturday 3rd- 40 lengths swim in 30 mins
Sunday 4th- 4K jog/run- see last blog. It hurt. A lot. Must stretch before and after running.
Monday 5th- REST!
Tuesday 6th- 3 miles on cross trainer, 3.5 miles on bike
Wednesday 7th -REST!
Thursday 8th- 6K jog/ run/ walk (First thing in the morning, not good. Felt exhausted!)
Friday 9th- Walk 2 hours total.

Not exactly stuck to the plan but it's better than nothing. And, I have great news of joy and wonder.....
A new record has been set in my life! I jogged/ ran/ stumbled for 7.5K this afternoon! Whilst this is not very far in comparison to the final goal, it is by far the furthest that I have ever travelled at more than a walk. Forgot to check the clock before I left but I think it took me somewhere between 50 and 55 mins which isn't fast but let's face it, I'm not going to be completing this marathon in record time. I'll settle for just completing it to be honest!

Whilst writing this, I thought "I wonder what percentage that is of our far I have to run on the big day." Oh my. The marathon is a whopping 26.2 miles which is a mammoth 42K!
I've got over 5 times further to run than what I did today! This has brought me out in a cold sweat. Best to move on from facts and figures sharpish.

Anyway, this blog is meant to be about British Heart Foundation.
So here's getting back to facts and figures of a slightly more grave nature than how far I can't run.

About 2.7 million people in the UK live with heart disease. That's a lot aint it?

One in every 145 babies is born with a congenital heart disease. That works out as 12 babies with a heart defect of some sort born EVERY day. Blimey.
Breast cancer is very well known about and publicised (and absolutely, rightfully so) but women are THREE times more likely to die of coronary heart disease than of breast cancer.

One of the current research projects run by BHF is called "Mending Broken Hearts". It's all about a random little zebrafish. This zebrafish is pretty special and has a skill worthy of display to Simon and his Britain's Got Talent crew. The zebrafish can mend it's own broken heart. If its heart muscle is damaged, no sweat, no bother, no blue light ambulances needed, it simply recovers and hey presto, back to full strength. Now the thing with us humans is that if we damage our heart muscle, it never recovers. Scarred and pretty useless. Sometimes worse than useless. This leads to heart failure which is pretty much as bad as it sounds. Go to www.BHF.org.uk/research to find out more or watch this slightly cheesey video: http://vimeo.com/19384995



So that's just one of the BHF projects and a pretty good reason for you to all dig deep and donate pots and pots of your hard-earned cash or ill-gotten gains. And if you can't afford pots and pots then just a few quid will do. We'll talk more about that in the future! Chaaching! (Did I mention I've set a goal of £2500?)

Lovely. That's all for now. Next time..... New Clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment